Why I Write About Classical Music
I was asked recently why I write about classical music and what the reader feedback has been. Here is what I answered:
One day I started sharing classical music with my readers. I just did. Not sure why. When I psychoanalyze that decision I find many reasons, and I’m not sure I can point to a single one.
Writing about music is like dancing about architecture.Elvis Costello
But here’s a list of them, just off the top of my head:
- I truly love classical music. Its longevity fascinates me. We still listen today to music that was composed hundreds of years ago.
- Writing about classical music forces me to learn more about it. Even before I started writing about it, I was considering auditing a music appreciation class at the local university. Now I have an excuse to learn!
- I really enjoy getting readers’ feedback and their suggestions. Many of my readers know more about classic music than I do, so I get to learn from them.
- Since I write about it, now I can justify spending hours on Youtube listening to various performances.
- I love investing, and I love writing about it. But sometimes I feel it consumes too much of me. Writing about other subjects that are sometimes personal in nature, be it music or a trip to Santa Fe or Key West, is a nice diversion.
Life is too short to spend it thinking only about investments.